The Game of Dice for Companies

Cover story - It helps the entrepreneur and the company to transform problems and difficulties into opportunities. It is a nice tool designed and manufactured in Indianapolis (USA)

by John Mundell

N37 Pag6-7 Cube 01 ridfrom "Economia di Comunione - una cultura nuova" n.37 - editorial insert in Città Nuova n.13 - 2013 - July 2013

«On the day that I was called to court as an expert, the dice I rolled in the morning had proposed to me: "Even competitors can be friends." Very instructional! In fact, I would have been questioned by a lawyer who had always been aggressive and misinterpreted the facts by allegations without foundation. How could I be friends with him? So I decided not to take into account the provocative tone of his questions, and simply tell the truth. The interrogation ended smoothly and at the end I realized that the pressing questions of the lawyer who was my opponent had allowed me to respond in an exceptionally relevant way and therefore offer an excellent professional performance.»

N37 Pag6-7 Cube 02 rid

What happened in the U.S. is one of the many colourful experiences of entrepreneurs and workers in various parts of the world that you can read on the page of the website dedicated to them: www.thecompanycube.com. Created by an association that was specifically called together in Indianapolis to find an application in the world of work for the so-called Dice of Love, a tool that Chiara Lubich used to teach the newest generations of the Focolare Movement, the so-called Gen4 how to love. This is how the Company Cube was born, which, on the website bears the subtitle "The new small business revolution"When you open the site, with a click on the top left you can "roll" the dice to receive the invitation that it proposes for work that day

Here the entries of the dice of love designed for children have been adapted to the corporate life, after intense dialogue between entrepreneurs and scholars.
Consequently, the instruction "(be the) first to love" that was meant for the little ones has become "(be the) first to help others".
Similarly, "love one another" has become "share expertise, time, yourself", "love everyone" was transformed into "value every person, every idea!", while "love your enemy" in the world of work has become "competitors can be friends, too", "seeing Jesus in others" is changed to "support with actions, not only with words", and finally "becoming one" was interpreted as "build relationships every day".

It seems a little game for children, but it has a deeper meaning: those who adhere to the Economy of Communion not only commit to sharing the profits of their company - as it always follows - but also adhere to a new culture in each stage of their economic activities.
But we are all immersed in the world, with continuous interactions with people who often have a completely different concept of how "we should behave in business".
If you do not hold fast to a community that thinks otherwise, you will be involved in - if not overwhelmed by - what is considered the only valid and applicable logic in today's economics. 

And so, day by day, the help suggested becomes a way to love and live the cooperation, but especially to note the possibility of communion in the world with all those that strive for self-fulfilment and want to improve themselves as human beings by combining the love of the Gospel even in economic activities. This is where the value of the many small testimonies shows, each anchored on the tip of the cube for that day: they make sure that we do not feel alone in this effort, because many others go through similar experiences to ours and because they suggest attitudes towards all the subjects of our own professional world that otherwise we would not have had the courage or the imagination to take.

N37 Pag6-7 Cube 03 rid

The site contains interesting cues, such as the one about the point "Build relationships": «The woman next to our store was sweeping her steps when I came in this morning. I told her we were lucky to be located right next to such a welcoming place» (Argentina).

And the one related to "Value every person": «Today I listened to my secretary describe another way to format my report, and it made all the difference. Everyone liked the new look!» (Italia).

Or the one referring to "Be the first to help others”: «Our company kitchen needed cleaning, so today at lunch, I washed the dishes and took out the trash. Everyone was happy when they saw the results.» (Brazil).

Or that linked to "Share yourself”: «While he was fixing my computer, I found out from our industry expert that his son had had a surgery the day before. When he left, I told him I would keep his son in my thoughts and prayers.» (Philippines).

On another page of the site www.thecompanycube.com we can identify geographical locations of some of the companies partaking in this spirituality, in the most diverse parts of the planet. We are not alone!, this is surely to be ascertained.
The graphics of the Company Cube varies according to the cultures of the different parts of the world: the European imagery uses the scenes of Formy, (the ant who does not think only of herself) designed by graphic-poet Vittorio Sedini, known to those who often visit the site EoC (www.edc-online.org) and read our magazine. There is also an American design that is more stylized, modern and suited to the younger generations.

The Company Cube, registered as a trademark in the United States, will soon be translated into various languages. In this site you can have more news and also buy the materials to build the dice at home. 

Follow us:

Who’s online

We have 663 guests and no members online

© 2008 - 2019 Economia di Comunione (EdC) - Movimento dei Focolari
creative commons Questo/a opera è pubblicato sotto una Licenza Creative Commons . Progetto grafico: Marco Riccardi - info@marcoriccardi.it

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

This website uses “technical cookies”, including third parties cookies, which are necessary to optimise your browsing experience. By closing this banner, or by continuing to navigate this site, you are agreeing to our cookies policy. The further information document describes how to deactivate the cookies.